Posts made in October, 2015

New Law May Allow Incarcerated Parents to Delay Child Support Payments

Non-custodial parents who are incarcerated are typically required to continue paying child support while they’re in jail, even though they may not have sources of income to do so. More often than not, this results in parents incurring tens of thousands of dollars of child support. However, changes in legislation set to take effect in the next few years may allow parents to put child support obligations on hold until they’re released. Here’s more information about this development.

Make Incarceration Considered Involuntary

You can have a child support order reduced or suspended if you can demonstrate you have had a significant change in circumstances that has impacted your ability to earn income. While being in jail would fit this requirement, many states don’t recognize incarceration as an involuntary condition. For example, Ohio considers parents who are in jail to be voluntarily unemployed. As a result, parents who attempt to have support orders adjusted or suspended are often denied.

However, new regulations set to go into effect by 2017 would classify incarceration as involuntary, overriding policies in states like Ohio that make jailed parents ineligible for child support adjustments. Additionally, child support enforcement agencies would be required to notify parents they have the right to reductions, and any money collected would be transferred directly to the custodial parent instead of passing through the agency.

Money will also be invested into providing job training and other services to help incarcerated parents become employable.

What to Do Now About Child Support

As mentioned previously, the legislative changes aren’t set to go into effect until 2017. Unfortunately, parents who are already incarcerated (or set to be so) need help with their child support payment issues right now. There are a few options available to you. If you have no income because of your incarceration, you can request the court suspend the child support order until your release date. This is the best option because this will prevent you from leaving jail with tens of thousands of dollars in fees and interest.

However, about 14 states have policies like Ohio and do not consider incarceration to be an involuntary condition. So getting the support order suspended may not be an option available to you. It’s best to consult with an attorney about the laws in your state to see if they support this maneuver.

The other option is to request the child support order be amended to a lower amount. While you’ll still accumulate a balance during the time you’re in jail, it may not be as big as if you let the support order go unchallenged.

To take advantage of either option, you would need to file the request with the same family court that created the child support order. Since your movements are severely restricted while in jail, you’ll need to make alternative arrangements to attend the required hearings. Some courts will let you attend the hearings by telephone or video chat. Another option is to give someone you trust power of attorney to handle legal matters on your behalf.

A third option would be to negotiate with the custodial parent to put off paying the child support until you get out of jail. This may not be possible if the state monitors your payments as is usually the case if you’re already behind on payments or the custodial parent has applied for public assistance. Additionally, the other parent may only be willing to do this if the time you’re in jail is short.

There may be other things that can help you manage child support payments while incarcerated. Visit resources like to learn more about your options.

Read More

4 Questions You May Have About Whiplash After A Car Accident

Whiplash is a common injury caused by car accidents, especially when a person is hit from behind. The motion of being pushed forward and pulled backwards is what causes whiplash, and the symptoms can be minor or major. In some cases, people that experience whiplash end up with long-term effects they must deal with for many years or for the rest of their life. It can be hard to know how long the effects will last, which is why you may want to ask for long-term compensation for this issue.

What Are The Symptoms Of Whiplash?

While whiplash can occur with any car accident, the chances of getting it are greater if you are rear ended and if there was a great deal of impact. The problem with whiplash is knowing whether or not you have it, because the symptoms of whiplash do not always set in right away It often takes a few days for them to appear after an accident occurs. Some of the symptoms you may have include:

  • Pain in your neck
  • Stiffness and loss of mobility in your neck
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Blurred vision
  • Headaches
  • Pain in your arm, shoulder, or back

If you have these symptoms after your accident, you should visit a doctor. A doctor may be able to diagnose the condition as whiplash, and this diagnosis will be necessary if you plan on seeking compensation for your injuries.

How Is It Treated?

When a person gets whiplash from an accident, a doctor will commonly treat it with pain medication. Pain medication can help by reducing the inflammation in this area and blocking the chemicals that are released when your body senses pain. Pain pills do help, but they are not a long-term solution for whiplash.

Some people prefer using natural methods to treat this, and this can include acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, and massage therapy. Each of these methods offer a way to treat the pain without experiencing any harmful side effects.

Does It Go Away?

According to WebMD, most people that experience whiplash from a car accident fully recover within one month, but there are others that are still not the same even after one year. It appears that if a person has a great deal of mobility loss in their neck after an accident, the whiplash has a greater chance of being a long-term condition.

If you are not only diagnosed with whiplash but also are diagnosed with a fracture in this area of your body, you are also more likely to suffer from long-term effects of whiplash. This is one reason doctors will typically take x-rays of a person’s neck after he or she is in a car accident.

Can You Receive Compensation For It?

If the other party’s insurance company is trying to settle with you for the accident, they may not be willing to give you a large amount for your whiplash. This is why you may need to hire a car accident attorney. Your attorney will help you receive compensation that covers all your medical bills relating to the accident and for treatment of the whiplash, and your lawyer will also ask for compensation to cover:

  • Future medical bills for treating the whiplash – If your whiplash is a long-term condition, you may incur thousands of dollars of bills over the years for treatment of the condition.
  • Pain and suffering – You can also ask for money to cover your pain and suffering caused by the accident.

Whiplash can be a serious condition, and you will most likely be entitled to compensation for it. If you would like to learn more about your rights after an accident, contact a car accident attorney

Read More


October 2015
« Sep   Nov »